RE: [teacherartexchange] My new Art Quilt blog--check it out!

---------

From: Amy Broady (abroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 09:54:52 PST

Thank you, Randy!

The pinwheel component isn't the main thrust of our project--but is a joyful
modification. My original plans for the quilt was for it to feature along
the bottom edge (as the base of a brilliant, star-studded night sky
compositon) silhouettes or simplified representations of local landmarks
that the students would recognize--the school of course, the Sunsphere, the
Tennessee Theatre, the Zoo, the Art Museum, the Henley Street Bridge, etc.
(I was also going to include a pinwheel to represent that aspect of our
school culture, but it would have been one small visual element, not a
repeated, major motif.) But our grant was not large enough to support that
original, complicated vision...so I decided that the pinwheel block should
be the main framing element of our central image (still the brilliant night
sky featuring a fictional constellation). I am delighted by this
modification, and hope that it will further embed the Pinwheels for Peace
experience into our students' memory of their elementary school experience.

Please visit the blog throughout the spring and see how the project
develops! I hope to be adding a few more images this weekend, as a matter of
fact....

Amy in TN

http://mrsbroady.edublogs.org/