[teacherartexchange] Inspiring ELL students

---------

From: Deanna Bowers (dbowers_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 10:48:38 PST

Gabrielle,
I was surprised by your email. My ELL students are usually so wonderful
with art, expression, and enthusiasm. I try to buy books and materials
from their own cultures to inspire them even though they learn all of
the same material as everyone else in the class. I just googled some art
from Oromo and Somalia and some great images came up. I would start by
having the students try to communicate the meanings in the things they
see. Try to get them to communicate their own experiences through art. I
am going to attach this wonderful picture of two Oromo girls. It's so
beautiful! I had a student from Niger, so fantastic, that did a lot of
art about his culture. He also did art about sports and general teenage
stuff, but I think he liked the connection to his heritage. I hope this
helps? Show the boys some art by contemporary adult men that might be
powerful and give them a connection? Let them see pictures of the
artists. It might help? Maybe Joesam?
Deanna in California
P.S. I had to take off my attachment because they are not allowed. Maybe
you will see it if you google Oromo art. :)