Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Question about digital entries ??

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 16:14:17 PST

Renee, Thanks -
I follow what you are telling me.
We also say we will not except a file size
larger than 500 K. Because of the space problem
you mentioned. I'm looking at one image now.
It is 4000 dpi, 400 x 293 pixels yet the file size is only 10.5 KB.
Is that possible ? I thought the greater the dpi the much higher
the file size. I have other images that meet the requirements
yet have much higher files ????

On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:47 PM, <> wrote:

> [...]
> resolution of larger than 300dpi Why they would send you a file at
> 4000 is beyond me? For your purposes of viewing them on a computer
> screen higher resolutions are not necessary Does this help? Hope so.
> Renee Popek
>> From: Woody Duncan <>
>> Date: 2007/02/28 Wed PM 05:27:51 CST
>> To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
>> <>
>> Subject: [teacherartexchange] Question about digital entries ??
>> Sorry for the long explanation. My question is at the end.
>> I'm a bit perplexed. The NMWS has for a couple of years been
>> accepting (only) digital entries for our juried exhibits.
>> We do this via e-mail and later send the jpegs on to our
>> juror on a CD. It is working fine, sort of. There has been a
>> learning curve for some of our members. For the last two
>> exhibits, I have served as file manager. I download the jpegs
>> to my computer and put together a spread sheet.
>> We planned this change to digital carefully. We set these standards
>> for entries:
>> jpeg only
>> 72 dpi
>> 700 pixels on the longest dimension (or as close as possible)
>> file name convention:
>> first 4 letters last name
>> first 4 letters first name
>> 2 digit month
>> 2 digit year (of exhibit)
>> A, B, or C for 1st, 2nd and 3rd entry
>> Example: duncwood0507A
>> Of course not every entry follows the guidelines and I'm too nice
>> a guy
>> so I fix them or explain how to submit a corrected entry. Too many
>> people
>> try to do it themselves rather than get help from someone who
>> knows how.
>> Now, finally my perplexing question: After the last exhibit I was
>> convinced
>> by others that the 72 dpi was not important. So I quit being
>> concerned that
>> some are 75, 96, 180 or 300. The monitor shows all those as if they
>> were 72.
>> If the image size is near 700 pixels on the longest side they will
>> all appear
>> similar to our juror. But today I got two entries at 4000 dpi. I have
>> no idea
>> how the digital pic was created. Will it matter ? If it's going to
>> look OK
>> then I guess it's no different than 180 or 300.
>> It's longest dimension is only 480 pixels so I can't reduce the
>> resolution
>> in photoshop because it will just get unbelievably small.
>> More groups are going to digital entries. I believe the standard is
>> 72dpi.
>> If our members send entries to other competitions that do not meet
>> every
>> criteria won't they be rejected ? That's my real concern. If
>> anyone can
>> share their wisdom with me I'd appreciate it.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703