[teacherartexchange] Question about digital entries ??

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 15:27:51 PST

Sorry for the long explanation. My question is at the end.

I'm a bit perplexed. The NMWS has for a couple of years been
accepting (only) digital entries for our juried exhibits.
We do this via e-mail and later send the jpegs on to our
juror on a CD. It is working fine, sort of. There has been a
learning curve for some of our members. For the last two
exhibits, I have served as file manager. I download the jpegs
to my computer and put together a spread sheet.

We planned this change to digital carefully. We set these standards
for entries:
jpeg only
72 dpi
700 pixels on the longest dimension (or as close as possible)
file name convention:
first 4 letters last name
first 4 letters first name
2 digit month
2 digit year (of exhibit)
A, B, or C for 1st, 2nd and 3rd entry
Example: duncwood0507A

Of course not every entry follows the guidelines and I'm too nice a guy
so I fix them or explain how to submit a corrected entry. Too many
people
try to do it themselves rather than get help from someone who knows how.

Now, finally my perplexing question: After the last exhibit I was
convinced
by others that the 72 dpi was not important. So I quit being
concerned that
some are 75, 96, 180 or 300. The monitor shows all those as if they
were 72.
If the image size is near 700 pixels on the longest side they will
all appear
similar to our juror. But today I got two entries at 4000 dpi. I have
no idea
how the digital pic was created. Will it matter ? If it's going to
look OK
then I guess it's no different than 180 or 300.

It's longest dimension is only 480 pixels so I can't reduce the
resolution
in photoshop because it will just get unbelievably small.

More groups are going to digital entries. I believe the standard is
72dpi.
If our members send entries to other competitions that do not meet every
criteria won't they be rejected ? That's my real concern. If anyone can
share their wisdom with me I'd appreciate it.
                        Woody

Woody Duncan woodyduncan@comcast.net

Invitation to my exhibitions
http://www.taospaint.com/Painted/Horse.html