Re:[teacherartexchange] [ArtsEducators] Painterly Controversy: William Merritt Chase and Robert Henri

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 11:37:29 PST

Judy,
        Thank you for the heads up on the Chase/Henri exhibition.
I plan to explore the conflicts between the two artists.
Good museums with knowledgeable curators put on very informative
exhibitions. They know how to juxtapose images so we can discover
relationships between artists.
        "One of the most prominent art teachers
of his day, Chase was also the founder of the Chase School of Art
(now the Parsons School of Design) in New York. The roster of his
students included such future luminaries as Georgia O'Keeffe...."
        When I went through Cincinnati, a few years back, I was
delighted to a find a large self portrait of Chase in his studio.
Then, strategically placed was a large canvas by O'Keeffe at the
opposite end of the exhibit space. I'm sure the curator meant to
juxtapose these two paintings so knowledgeable visitors would make
the connection. In our Albuquerque museum, our curator has placed
a landscape by Peter Hurd next to a painting by Henriette Wyeth.
For those who are not aware of the Hurd/Wyeth connection check out:
http://www.wyethhurd.com/family.html
        If we do a good job of educating our students, perhaps they
will make connections when they visit galleries and museums. That
should be the true outcome of good teaching.
                                Woody
I'm cross posting this reply.

On Feb 25, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Judy Decker wrote:

> Dear Art Educators,
>
> Sergio sent me notice of this exhibit at the Bruce Museum in
> Greenwhich, Ct. -- about a collision between two art teaching titans
> of the early 20th century.
> Painterly Controversy: William Merritt Chase and Robert Henri
> http://www.brucemuseum.com/chase_site/learn.html
> View images from the exhibit:
> http://www.brucemuseum.com/chase_site/images.html
> New York Times article:
> When Artists Collide:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/nyregion/
> nyregionspecial2/11ctarts.html?
> ex=1172552400&en=9adb47b18ba44108&ei=5070
>
> More exhibits at the Bruce Museum:
> http://www.brucemuseum.org/exhibitions/index.php
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Judy Decker