[teacherartexchange] Artists Books - digital collection

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 11:24:29 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I know many of you are interested in Artists books.

This site was featured in Scout Report.

16. Kohler Art Library: The Artists' Book Collection.
http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/ArtistsBks

The Kohler Art Library at University of Wisconsin-Madison presents this
illustrated database that indexes roughly 760 titles from its collection of
over 800 artists' books. The database can be searched by book title,
creator's name, publisher, date, or subjects. Other search terms relate to
types of book structures, bindings, medium/technique, and contributors. Each
record in the database has either a short description of the book's contents
or a complete transcription of the colophon, the short paragraph
traditionally placed at the end of a book, that tells about its production.
In addition, for slightly more than half the books, several images are
included. For example, the colophon for "From a housewife's diary", by
Claire Van Vliet, states that the "covering is dish towels bound by James
Bicknell", and the image included shows that the towels are red plaid. [DS]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2007.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

To subscribe to the Scout Report in text or HTML format, go to:
http://scout.wisc.edu/About/subscribe.php

I browsed by key word - I was interested in Tunnel Books, Accordion
Books, Star Books, and Pop-Up Books.

I will add a link on my Paper/Bookmaking links page.

More materials in the digital collection:
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/Arts/

Some of you may have visited Exquisite Horse:
http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/SBP/exquisitehorse.html

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department