Re:[teacherartexchange] Color Theory

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 07:53:47 PST

Hello,
I have 3rd grade students create personal color wheels as in Helen D. Hume's
book 'A Survival Kit for the Elementary/Middle School Art Teacher'. I give
them a worksheet to check off the colors as they create them by section,
Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary to keep track of what shapes they have
painted in prior to assembling the wheel . They have so much fun creating
the colors with only red, yellow and blue.

As a follow-up lesson we study Wassily Kandinsky's work. I play all types
of music and they interpret the movement with black paint. The following
week they use their color-mixing knowledge and fill the canvas with color.
(While the music plays of course!) Afterwards, they titled their paintings
and I display them in the hallway. The students loved the lessons and the
results were wonderful.

P.S. Thank you to everyone who responded regarding early finishers, I
appreciate all the helpful tips. I am glad to say it is not a common
occurrence.

mb