Re: [teacherartexchange] "How to be an Art Teacher"/poem

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2007 - 12:15:01 PST

Hi Vicki,

I found this in the archives (from 1998). Actually in a post by YOU.

Written by S. Costello Brownell and Kay Broadwater.

How to be an Art Teacher

Love kids. Love art. Take lots of vitamin B complex. Be dramatic. Make
friends with the custodians and cafeteria workers. Be colorful. Find a
good therapist or spiritual advisor. Think deeply. Transcend paper
cuts. Open your heart. Soak back and feet in hot eucalyptus baths.
Display artwork with student narratives. Make snowmen outside and
paint with watercolors. Go the extra mile. rest. Line up good art
subs...keep telephone numbers at home. Make lots of puppets. Put on
lots of shows. Play beautiful music. Learn the art of winging
it...Murphey's Laws love the art room. Only teach lessons you would
enjoy doing yourself. Don't talk to much...get to the fun stuff.
Life's too short. Be funny...Be compassionate.
-----

Also on Incredible Art Department:

"Love kids. Love art. Take lots of vitamin B complex. Be Dramatic.
Read School Arts. Make friends with the custodians and cafeteria
workers. Be colorful. Find a good therapist or spiritual advisor.
Think deeply. Transcend paper cuts. Open your heart. Soak back and
feet in hot eucalyptus baths. Display artwork with student narratives.
Make snowmen outside and paint with watercolors. Go the extra mile.
Rest. Line up good art subs...Keep telephone numbers at home. Make
lots of puppets. Put on lots of shows. Play beautiful music. Learn the
art of winging it...Murphy's law loves the art room. Only teach
lessons you would enjoy doing yourself. Don't talk too much...Get to
the fun stuff. Life's too short. Be funny. Be compassionate."

Judy Decker