[teacherartexchange] Contemporary Artist - Tim Hawkinson - Sculpture/Installation

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 10:08:49 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Getty will have a new exhibit of Tim Hawkinson's work - commissioned
by Getty. Show will open March 6. I hope they put some images on
online.

from January press release:

"LOS ANGELES—Contemporary art will be a major part of the J. Paul
Getty Museum's program of exhibitions this spring with the
presentation of Zoopsia: New Works by Tim Hawkinson, March 6 –
September 9, 2007 at the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Getty Center.
Hawkinson's newly commissioned work will be on view in a special
gallery on the Terrace Level of the West Pavilion, adjacent to the
Museum's new galleries for photographs. At the same time, the
artist's monumental Überorgan will make its West Coast debut in the
Museum's Entrance Hall.

"Hawkinson is currently completing his new works for Zoopsia, an
exhibition comprised of four interrelated objects involving zoological
forms, including an octopus, a bat, and a brontosaurus, which will be
installed in a single space of approximately 750 square feet.
Hawkinson frequently uses his own body as a source and subject for his
works, and has been known to use diverse household and industrial
materials that range from cardboard, soda cans, and duct tape to human
hair and fingernails to traditionally cast bronze and lead in the
making of his art. His creations defy characterization."

Hawkinson has no set "style" - so you can not do an "art in the style
of" lesson with him (smile).

Here is my web surf today to see work by Hawkinson. I was familiar with "Bear".

Art 21 (PBS) Biography:
http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/hawkinson/

Some work at Ace Gallery:
http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?Artist=1
http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/ACE/hawkinson99/h1.html

NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4802237

Here is Bear (Bear made out of huge boulders)
http://stuartcollection.ucsd.edu/StuartCollection/Hawkinson.htm

Museum article:
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/4aa/4aa590.htm

Examples of his work - including images of Uberorgan
http://www.thecityreview.com/thawkins.html
Uberorgan changes with each installation.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker