[teacherartexchange] Is there a push for Standardized Visual Art Tests?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 08:44:01 PST

Dear Art Educators,

The topic of standardized visual art tests came up on TAB list. I
found some information on line that spoke of the dangers of a
standardized art test. I am personally opposed to a standardized
visual art test - for many reasons. The primary reason is that we
don't have "standardized art instruction" (all students do not have
equal art instruction time) - many students do not have art in
elementary and many students do not have visual art in middle school
now (in Ohio). My former school dropped the middle school art
requirement and went without an instructor for a year. Until we get
art in every school and at every grade level, states should not even
consider any kind of "standardized" assessment. When I was teaching,
the county office was pushing for a seventh grade art assessment.... I
only saw a fraction of the seventh graders at any given time - many
students didn't take art till 8th grade - and some not at all. Many
students took art in sixth grade and not again. We were on twelve week
trimesters. There was no way I was going to promote a standardized art
test for 7th grade - or any grade.

Here is what the state of Washington is proposing:
Classroom-Based Performance Assessments
http://www.k12.wa.us/Assessment/WASL/Arts/default.aspx

Here is my Web surf:

Thought I would do a little web surf:
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/13_03/assess.shtml
"There's only one thing worse than requiring students to reduce all
learning to a single 'correct' answer, and that is reducing
assessment and accountability to a single standardized test."

Might be interesting to contact Milwaukee Public Schools....
"The Milwaukee Public Schools have done extensive work on developing
such performance exams in the areas of writing, science, math,
visual arts, and oral communications."

Look up Studies in Art Education Vol. 34, No. 1 (Autumn, 1992), pp.
6-17
The Feasibility of Standardized Performance Assessment in the
Visual Arts: Lessons from the Dutch Model
Donna Kay Beattie
You can read a hint of it here:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0039-3541(199223)34%3A1%3C6%3ATFOSPA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-V

Alternatives to Standardized Tests:
http://www.newschools.org/viewpoints/april_1_99.html

I tried to find some specific research on the topic... nothing came
up in my quickie web surf.

Kathy Douglas made an excellent post on the topic.... You will not
have to subscribe to TAB Choice to read their archives.