[teacherartexchange] Music and Art - how about inviting a local musician?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 06:03:06 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I heard from Dr. Janice Foy, Ph.D., 'cellist/ethnomusicologist
http://www.bravo-la.com

From Janice:

I am a professional 'cellist in L.A. and understand how you
are trying to incorporate music with art! To give you an example of
what I did in my music class many moons ago - I wanted everyone in the
room to tell me their story that they heard while listening to the
music which I played during class. The piece was 'Voice of the Whale'
by American composer George Crumb - a piece I have played several
times myself and love it! The imaginations of the kids (College age)
was just fantastic!
Back to Judy:

When I did my "Our Town" unit - Romare Bearden Collage, I invited a
local musician/composer. He had composed a piece "Lima Land" for the
Lima Symphony. I played that for my students one day then we
brainstormed on the sounds of day at school.
I took the list of sounds the students came up with to the musician
and he came up with music to illustrate those sounds. I had him come
to the class to play the "Sounds of ____ Middle School". I brought in
my son's keyboard for him to use (he was also my son's piano teacher).
This unit just happened to fall when I had a student teacher. Her
supervising teacher was very impressed with our "comprehensive" unit
(as we also tied this in with the Language arts unit "Our Town"). Of
course, throughout the unit, we listened to Jazz music - used a lot of
music/art words, too. The collage unit involved drawing and
printmaking, too. I had photographed local architecture. Student
drawings were transferred to litho sketch plates (due to time
restraints I did the transfers - plus I didn't want the students using
lacquer thinner). We also made a small book with monoprints, litho
prints and writings about "Our Town". I don't think I have any
examples photographed of this unit... will have to see. I know I don't
have the lesson on line.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department