Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Teacher

---------

From: lia johnson (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 19:11:05 PST

Guess I will share my two bits here. Perhaps I am getting too old but
I find that students and human beings in general....don't appreciate
things that are handed to them as much as those the work for a bit.
When I had student teachers I shared everything I had with them....and
they could borrow and copy anything they wanted....and many did....but
I am not sure handing them a book with all of this is the same thing.
Now at the university I also supervise student teachers....and I share
every thing I ever had....and web sites--- I have a library of books
etc. But my students have to do the copy work...if they want it.
Sure I make some copies of things...but they need to show initiative
too. What I find is if you hand it to them...they will take
it....but in real life they need the skills to flesh these things out
themselves...and they need to learn to ask...to be curious. It is in
the process of building your career that you learn...what you need,
and what you value and what you don't. Not sure I am coming though
and making sense...but like constructivism...or learning anything...we
have to participate in it....and we don't value it if it is handed to
us....at least not in the same way. lia johnson