[teacherartexchange] Kevin Red Star - Crow artist - Contemporary Plains Indian

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 11:03:19 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I know some of you like to bring in contemporary Native American art
in your units.
Not all Plains Indians are working in "traditional" media. Check out
the work of Kevin Red Star - Crow Indian:
http://www.kevinredstar.com/

"Intensely brilliant colors and an almost mystical use of light bring
a special joy to the canvases of Kevin Red Star. Kevin draws from his
Crow culture for his subjects -- historical and modern. His
exaggeration of the anatomical features and the haunting eyes
captivate the viewer. Then the experienced hand finishes the canvas
adding a deeper dimension. These are defining characteristics of the
work of internationally acclaimed Kevin Red Star, the premier plains
artist."
Kevin was born on the Crow Indian Reservation in Lodge Grass, Montana (1943).

additional works:
http://www.bighorngalleries.com/red_star.htm
http://www.ravenwerkes.com/artists/Redstar/RedStar.html
http://www.rogallery.com/Red_star_kevin/kredst-hm.htm

More on Artcyclopedia:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/red_star_kevin.html

If you find contemporary Native artists whose works you admire, send
them my way (or post to the list). Joan posted this artist to Art
Education list.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department