[teacherartexchange] Icaro Doria - Brazilian artist - world flags - new meaning

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 07:51:07 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Sergio sent me this Brazilian artist - Icaro Doria. I know some of you
are interested in social comment.....
http://www.brazilianartists.net/home/flags/
read about the "Meet the World" Campaign:
http://www.brazilianartists.net/home/flags/index2.htm

"The magazine Grande Reportagem in Lisbon, Portugal, is running a
sobering ad campaign that adds a color-coded legend to the flags of
various countries to comment on the cultural and social conditions
there. The mastermind behind the effort is a 25-year-old Brazilian
graphic designer named Icaro Doria. 'We started to research relevant,
global and current facts and thus came up with the idea to put new
meanings to the colors of the flags,' Doria tells
BrazilianArtists.net. 'We used real data taken from the Web sites of
Amnesty International and the UNO.' The tagline is, 'Meet the world'."
 (copied from a blog).

If you find artists of interest, send them my way (or post to the lists).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/