[teacherartexchange] Painting Music - Rhythm and Movement in Art (pdf file) - lessons

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 05:52:26 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Some of you may be interested in this pdf file - Painting Music -
Rhythm and Movement in Art:
http://sheldonartgallery.org/photos/graphics/statewide06catalogue.pdf
Has several artists and works inspired by music. Nebraska exhibition
featuring 23 original paintings and fine-art printmaking including
work by well-known artists such as Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee,
Stuart Davis, and Joseph Albers.

"Painting Music: Rhythm and Movement in Art is about the many ways
artists have emulated music using techniques such as color, form,
repetition, layering and lyricism. It also exemplifies how music has
influenced and inspired art and art making. As many ways as there are
to explore the music and art connection, what is actually being seen
and what is heard is up to the individual. What do you hear: a
symphony, a ballad, the blues or jazz? Perhaps you hear only noise or
silence between the notes. However you experience it, we hope you
will enjoy the performance." - Sharon L. Kennedy, Curator

Pdf files has list of artists and works . You could look up the works
on line to get larger images to view.

Here are some comprehensive lessons that can be adapted:
http://sheldonartgallery.org/photos/graphics/lesson2.pdf
this one is for grade 4-6

K-5 lesson:
http://sheldonartgallery.org/photos/graphics/lesson3.pdf

http://sheldonartgallery.org/photos/graphics/lesson1.pdf
activities for K-12
Of course, these lessons are based on students viewing the exhibit.
You can tweak them to have students view your PowerPoint or art
prints.

Rhythm and Art: Painting Lesson:
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/2053/
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/2056/
High school lesson adaptable to other grades.

I know some of you are looking for comprehensive lessons..... Art and
Music topic came up on Getty list (music that inspired Kandinsky).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/