RE: [teacherartexchange] Early finishers

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 15:52:41 PST

Marybeth,
I have a very detailed laminated 8 x 10" pen and ink patterned drawing that
I use as a sample handout for 5th graders when they finish.
They use fine line sharpie markers to design their own detailed pen and ink
and it usually takes them 9 weeks (of extra-time) to finish. I tell them
this is for a grade but it is only done during their free time. They keep
them in a special folder to work on. They enjoy it and it is so
labor-intensive that it keeps them from visiting with each other. For the
few students who work so carefully or slowly on the assignemnts that they
never have the free-time to do the pen and ink--I usually negotiate at the
end of the 9 weeks a smaller version (say 3 x 3 inch) that they can turn in
for the grade.
Cindy