[teacherartexchange] Early finishers

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 15:17:31 PST

For my beginning students (9th graders mostly), I have a rubric that they
put on the back of their work. The rubric is quite extensive, although easy
to make.(I use an online rubric maker) When they come up to say they are
finished, we turn the work over, and go over the rubric. "Dollars to Donuts"
(as my father used to say), they have done the minimum on the rubric, and at
that point I always say, according to the rubric, you are going to be
getting a D on this project, now let's talk about what you need to get that
A. I am in the second week of the new semester, and haven't started the
rubric system on paper yet, just verbally. As a first step, I have them
verbally tell me what I required in the project, then they tell me and then
I say "that is a rubric and in the next project you will actually have a
rubric, that you can work with". So far, knock wood, those students who have
verbalized what the requirements were, and were finished early, when they
came up to see me, and we talked, realized they were missing something. Next
week we start our major work, since they just finished exercises in line,
shape and form(value). We are starting a small still life (jacks and a
ball), and I will make a rubric for them to attach to their finished
drawing. You can bet that line, shape and form will be a big part of this
rubric.

San D