RE: [teacherartexchange] Kandinsky and music

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 10:26:44 PST

I have posted some things about synesthesia over the years -
Most recently the Medical Mysteries episode in August:

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2311762&page=1

I am interested in it not just for art - but my writing classes -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4558075.stm

Words 'can change what we smell'

The research could have implications for restaurateurs
A rose by any other name might not smell as sweet, UK research suggests.

But labelling an unpleasant smell with a more appealing name can improve
its aroma, an Oxford University team has found.

In an experiment, volunteers asked to smell a cheddar cheese odour rated
it as more pleasant when it was labelled as "cheddar" than as "body
odour".

A label was enough to make them imagine a smell even when they were
sniffing clean air, the journal Neuron reports.

A review for a book by Vladimir Nabokov - Alphabet in Color -

Book Description
Vladimir Nabokov saw rich colors in letters and sounds and noted the
deficiency of color in literature, praising Gogol as the first Russian
writer to truly appreciate yellow and violet. He saw q as browner than
k, and s as not the light blue of c, but a curious mixture of azure and
mother-of-pearl. For anyone who has ever wondered how the colors Nabokov
heard might manifest themselves visually, Alphabet in Color is a
remarkable journey of discovery. Jean Holabird's interpretation of the
colored alphabets of one of the twentieth century's literary greats is a
revelation. The book masterfully brings to life the charming and vibrant
synesthetic colored letters that until now existed only in Nabokov's
mind. In Alphabet in Color Jean Holabird's grasp of form and space
blends perfectly with Nabokov's idea that a subtle interaction exists
between sound and shape. In his playful foreword, Brian Boyd, "the
prince of Nabokovians", points out that an important part of "Nabokov's
passion for precision was his passion for color."