Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Teacher

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 08:44:18 PST

Hi,
I do an info sheet for my student teachers.....have you thought about
including the following:
1. information that would not be in a staff manual (for example - we have a
photocopy room which has a coffee machine in it....but it is not for staff
use...only for the office.....that's not in the staff manual because it's
common knowledge - but I has a student teacher once take coffee from it and
get in trouble with the office...)
2. your qualifications (as their associate/mentor/whatever your area calls
you)
3. your contact information, including e-mails, home numbers, etc.
4. if your area is prone to snow delays/cancellations....what radio station
/ website they should be looking at for information...what do do...and I
also include what time I leave the house, as I commute to work, incase they
are unsure if they are to travel in bad weather.
5. important dates that would affect their teaching (ie: assemblies)
6. important dates that they should be aware of (ie: student council spirit
days, etc.)
7. I also have homework for the student teacher to complete....yes,
homework! In our area, they are suppose to come with a 'resume' type page
for use, but I've found that a lot don't...so I have them complete an info
sheet for me. I ask them to include their teaching subject, with specifics
(for example, are they art histroy majors, studio arts, graphic arts, etc.)
I ask them to include what they taught at the previous student teaching
blocks (they do three blocks of teaching time in this area)...this is so I
don't give them the same thing......I ask them what they think are their
strengths in the arts, and what they know are their weaknesses (or what they
are unfamiliar with) so that I can expose them to a little more stuff (ie:
have they had any experience with clay? printmaking? etc.).
8. If there are specific routines for your classroom (that are unique
compared to the regular school routines) that should be explained ie:
where/how do students hand things in? Makes it easier for the student
teacher, and the students as routines remain relatively normal.

That's all I can think of for now......
good luck!
sue