[teacherartexchange] Early finishers

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 08:19:42 PST

Help! I need suggestions for upper elementary students, particularly grade
5,
who finish a project early and then choose to sit and socialize or waste
materials. I have noticed that my students have
become very social rather then putting forth their best effort.

I have plenty of independent opportunities, a closet full of materials and
mediums that may be used
during "free time", a sketchbook suggestion can filled with idea starters,
individual sketchbooks, tear sheets in binders of
magazine photographs of animals, people, sea life, etc. all organized and
labeled. Art history books and tons of how to draw
books; and cans of modeling clay (which tends to be let's waste time
center).

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions for me as to how to keep my students
independently working rather than just hanging out and merely scribbling to
look busy? I must add I am fortunate that they are not discipline problems,
nor are they rude, I just feel they could use their time more effectively.
My younger grades are always enthusiastic and creatively productive during
their free-time, what can I do to keep my older elementary kids engaged?

I'm thinking of requiring early finishers to choose one of the many art
reproductions I have hanging around the room and to draw from it, then I
could hang the reproduction and the student work in the hallway with a focus
on both artists. Any comments?

Thank you,
Marybeth