Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] The Importance of Understanding - summary articles

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 11:45:50 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Some of you are familiar with Grant Wiggins Understanding by Design.....

Here are some articles that summarize the process:

The Importance of Understanding by John L. Brown
"Experiencing Understanding
One of the greatest benefits of the visual and performing arts is
their capacity to expand students' understanding of themselves, their
world, and their ways of constructing personal meaning while engaging
in the process of self-expression."

Creating Desired Results for Understanding
By John L. Brown
"The backward design process advocated by Understanding by Design
reminds us that we must begin at the beginning, starting in Stage One
with clearly-articulated outcomes for student learning. In turn, Stage
Two (assessment) and Stage Three (designing instructional activities)
must be closely aligned with our desired results, reinforcing
students' ongoing process toward mastering them."

Assessing for Understanding
By John L. Brown
"This third article explores assessment issues associated with Stage
Two. Our controlling question for this particular article becomes: How
can we collect and analyze assessment evidence to determine the extent
to which students have achieved our desired results?"

Designing Teaching and Learning Activities
By John L. Brown
"Once again, we assert that arts educators already model many of the
design principles associated with Understanding by Design in
general-and Stage Three specifically. Teachers of the visual and
performing arts, for example, almost inevitably emphasize student
understanding of what they are learning, rather than formulaic
recitation of declarative knowledge (i.e., information) or mechanical
modeling of procedural knowledge (i.e., skills and procedures)."

excerpts copied from the articles.

More helpful How Tos - including how to's for theater, music and dance
Those of you looking for comprehensive arts activities might want to
take a look.

Just thought I would post this since the topic has come up.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to