[teacherartexchange] Contemporary Artist Howard Hodgkin - Art of Ancient Iran (NY Times articles)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 07:25:16 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am combining two posts in one....both articles from New York Times today.

Howard Hodgkin - London Artist is new to me.
Wonderful abstract/non-objective paintings and prints.

Blasts of Color, Evoking Memories
By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN
Published: February 16, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/16/arts/design/16hodg.html?ref=design

"The best of Howard's Hodgkin's paintings are, in a sly, almost
deceptive way, what serious abstraction ought to be about." includes
slide show

"It is inspired by memories or 'emotional situations,' as Mr. Hodgkin
says. He rarely reveals what these are. His titles hint teasingly at
them."

"Howard Hodgkin: Paintings 1992-2007" runs through April 1 at the Yale
Center for British Art, 1080 Chapel Street, New Haven; or
www.ycba.yale.edu.

"It surveys work from the last 15 years or so by this Londoner, a
veteran abstractionist and voluptuary."

The frames are often painted and part of the work. Work is very fresh.

More on Howard Hodgkin:
 http://www.howardhodgkin.org.uk/default.asp
Great prints - good articles for more information. I can see his
prints inspiring a monoprint lesson. Site has screen prints and
lithographs - but from my browsing the method used for each print is
not listed.

Biography of Howard Hodgkin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hodgkin

About a Tate exhibit - some work shown:
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/howardhodgkin/

Some wonderful images of paintings:
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/H/hodgkin.html

Find out more:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hodgkin_howard.html
Flaunting Dominion in Ancient Iran
By HOLLAND COTTER
Asia Society's glinting and glowing show of pre-Islamic art offers
windows onto history, past and present. inlcudes slide show.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/16/arts/design/16sasa.html?ref=design
Asia Society's glinting and glowing show of pre-Islamic art from Iran

"Glass, Gilding and Grand Design: Art of Sasanian Iran (224-642 A.D.)"
remains at Asia Society, 725 Park Avenue (at 70th Street), through May
20.

"During those 30 years scholars have learned a lot about the
Sasanians, though we still don't know very much. For about four
centuries they ruled a territory that covered present-day Iran, Iraq,
parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan and stretched to North Africa."

I did several lessons with my 6th grade students using art of Ancient
Iran for inspiration. I love the animal rhytons and ancient ceramics.
I did foil tooling and ceramics. I don't have all of these online -
but can elaborate on them if someone is interested.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/