Re: [teacherartexchange] Oil pastel Brands

---------

From: Godfrey mwamalumbili (godfreyartist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 01:08:24 PST

Hi Trish Ackerman
For Oil pastels, why cant you visite http://www.carandache.ch/ and try to
use Caran d'Ache product?
they were very good to me while I was in kindergarten school in
Ifakara(Bethlehem Centre)Tanzania and now they are still the best quality
pastels to me here in Turku Arts Academy Finland.
Many artists found it unique.

while I were attending my further arts studies in (School of contemporarl
arts-Nyumba ya Sanaa-Zanzibar )Tanzania, I remember once a Japanese teacher
who specialized in arts matelias tought us how to make self oil pastels from
grinded mix of chalk+tempera powder with hot melted bee wax,you can add a
litle amount of paraffin to make your combination more soft,Since in
tanzania we got variety colours from earth, we preferred clay as pigments
and coconut oil instead of paraffin, and it works.
All of my notes are in my home country Tanzania, so i cant remember exactly
how much the ingredients were mixed but if you spere a time for your self
to do an experiments ,Am sure that you'll find more facts. In tanzania we
used traditional stones for griding fine powder,but in America you have to
fig out the best way for you.
You can also make your own coconut oil if you dont want to use parrafin.
buy coconut milk from any nearest food supermarket, acording to your need,
pour coconut milk into a boling pan and switch on no.3- 4 for about
15-20minute.
1000g coconut milk = 240g coconut oil.
The idea is to take off water from coconut milk.,
coconut milk behaving the same way as cow milk does on fire,the high
tempreture can pour it out and empy your pan. in this case dont go away
before the job is done.
your tip is to pickup and shake your pan for a while when coconut milk is
forced to Spilled, then keep it on to continue boiling. This kind of care
will only needed in the beginning of the process, it is a some amount of
water which cousing these presure during a boiling time.
You can also buy the ready made oil from some store if you dont have time to
make for your own.

I am better in Swahili as my mother tounge than in english. I hope you will
understand what did I ment to mean into this message to you

Good lucky and be happy.

Godfrey (Chekanao) Mwamalumbili
The Turku Arts Academy,
Turku University of Applied Science