Re: [teacherartexchange] Oil pastel Brands

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 22:13:13 PST

I have always used the Pentel brands with my students, particularly
since our district got a very good deal on them. They lasted quite
well and didn't break. Blending was fine for students. I am working
on an oil pastel drawing myself right now. I have a mixture of
Pentel, Sakura, and Sennelier. It's amazing how much softer and
buttier the Senneliers are - makes the other brands feel much harder.
I don't think they'd make a good choice for middle school students
though, as they are rather expensive and you'd be going through them
rather quickly. Portfolio makes a type of oil pastels that are
blendable with water. I haven't tried them, but I've heard good
things about them.

Melissa