[teacherartexchange] familiar images

---------

From: Jackie Brewer (jacjac2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 09:20:26 PST

What I am curious about in many examples I see using technology with
art is the use of familiar images, such as the Nike symbol or Bart
Simpson. Are teachers having students write for permission to use
these symbols in works or art, or do they just let them do it. I am
aware of one situation in a state competition that a student used
Spiderman mixed with a self portrait. For all purposes, the artwork
would have been disqualified but on the back of the work, along with
the intent form, was a letter giving the student permission to use the
work. In the long run, the person with the copyright,wanted a sample
of the finsihed piece. I know that there are many views on what is
permissible and what is not. As a teacher who does have Art and
Technology use in the classroom, a lot, I try to make it a habit that
if a student does wish to use a familiar icon, such as Spiderman, then
they have to get permission to use it. Yes, it does take time but I
feel in the long run, it also gives the student the chance to have
contact with companies, artist, etc. and also provides insight into
doing what is right.

With all that being said, how do you as a teacher handle this.

Me - students must have permission to use any familiar icons.