RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning (workshop) Centers

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 08:29:51 PST

For my students, instead of having materials and supplies out in areas,
I had an "idea file" with many projects that used common art room
materials, with instructions for each project, and where to find the
materials. I found it rarely got used, so I discontinued it, but it may
work for you. Another suggestion would have students keep a portfolio (I
just had them use an old pocket folder with some loose-leaf papers
inside to glue pictures to) of ideas. When they had "extra" time, they
could try to re-create a picture in their portfolio. They could try
matching colors with colored pencils or paint, actually draw the full
picture, enlarge it, distort it, weave pictures together. There are lots
of ways to use that time well without having to take up a bunch of
classroom space.

Currently, I have a book rack with a bunch of "how to draw" and drawing
idea books. I also have drawing puzzles for them to do. I find simple
line-art, divide it with a grid, and glue the squares back together out
of order, and they copy the picture box by box to create the whole
picture in order.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School