[teacherartexchange] Uses for Broken Crayons

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 08:47:00 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I posted one use for broken crayons the other day to the art ed
lists.... A mural made entirely of broken crayons that has held up for
25 years (photo was just taken recently).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/files/mural.htm (scroll to middle of page)

This was a recent thread on Art Education list. If you are interested
in all of the list replies, look in the archives as they are open to
all. TAB members, what are some uses for broken crayons that your
students came up with? Share with me off list if you wish.

Here is my web wanderings on this topic. I quit searching for more as
I kept coming up with the same ideas.

 I was curious to see if anything was published on line - either by
Crayola or other
sources (Crayola link is below - I did find another use from Crayola -
but I am not registered - the idea was picture frames)

Here are some of "our" ideas explained in more detail:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/50302/uses_for_broken_crayons.html
The list came up with these ideas, too --- Like minds.

Similar ideas to "ours"

Broken Crayons? Recycle!
Don't throw away your broken crayons. Here are a few fun projects that
will put those crayon scraps to good use:

Make crayon muffins. Melt your pieces in small muffin tins (don't
forget to remove the paper from the crayons first!), let them cool on
the counter, then pop them in the freezer. When you take them out,
they'll slide easily out of the tins and you'll have beautiful swirly
crayon creations. A good example and directions can be found here.

Design swirly stones (pictured). Gather some smooth flat rocks, clean
them, then bake them for 15 minutes on a foil-lined cookie sheet in a
225-degree oven. Using an oven mitt, move the rocks onto a pad of
newspapers. Then hold a piece of crayon (again, remove the paper)
against the rock to create a puddle of wax and swirl it around.
Source: FamilyFun magazine, July/August 2006.

Scribble up some sandpaper art. Take sheets of coarse sandpaper and
have your children draw on them with old crayon pieces. Put the
finished sandpaper creations on a foil lined baking sheet, and place
them in the oven on a low setting. When the wax melts and fills in the
tiny crevices, the work of art is complete.

Create a stained glass window. Using a pencil sharpener, create crayon
shavings and put them on a sheet of waxed paper. The more shavings,
the better. Fold the wax paper in half so the crayon shavings are
inside, then cover the folded wax paper with a sheet of aluminum foil
and heat it with an iron. When the wax paper and melted crayon cools,
kids can cut it into any shape.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:HdmRZx0IHY4J:homeschoolhacks.com/category/arts-crafts/+crayola+ideas+for+broken+crayons&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

Try the Crayola Rainbow writer - works with broken crayons too.....
"The crayon writer draws up to five colors at once, features a
built-in sharpener and comes with five non-toxic crayons. (It also
works great for those broken crayons!)"

There is also a Crayon Holder:
http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/07/crayon-holder.html

Found a forum - haven't read the responses - I am sure they are similar to ours?
http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-23881

I haven't checked these links:

"One of the most original ideas for crayons has to come from Crayola.
They even have a section for Islamic Art" (I will see if I can find
this - I found several Islamic art lessons - but can not access them.
Maybe it is mosaic?)

"Do you have a lot of broken crayons? Well, with my toddlers and their
activeness, I have a lot of these. Well, if you do too, do not throw
them away. Here are some ideas to recycle crayons."
http://www.crayola.com/search/results.cfm?keywords=recycling+crayons&x=5&y=8
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/crayon.html
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/ckcrayon.html
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/staingl.html

The Crayola link does work - I just checked it.

Uses for Old Crayons:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf666289.tip.html

Creating Garden art:
"I was just reading the newspaper today and there were these smooth
rocks like river cobble - that looked like tie dye or paisley. The
article said they were heated in the oven on a piece of tin foil - low
heat - then when they are hot they are taken out of oven and pieces of
crayon are melted onto the rock alternating the colors you desire. The
crayon melts over the rock and covers it. The completed rocks look
kind of tie dyed or paisley and are very bright and colorful. Great
for garden accents."

The forum went on to say that you should only use Crayola
TAB Members, I bet your students could come up with 50 uses for broken
crayons.... that was the goal of the original person who posted to Art
Education list.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department