[teacherartexchange] Lessons that focus on BIG ideas - New York Times Learning Network

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 05:47:12 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Thanks "Mark" for getting us thinking about the big picture - and
looking for lessons that focus on the Big Ideas. Mark is a member of
Getty list - but just gets the index - a list of topics - no text
(which would be a drag). I am sending this post to him. Many responded
to Art Education list (on and off list) about the lessons on
Incredible Art Department. Mark, you will be pleased that they don't
follow the "recipe" - They do add their own ideas - and do focus on
concepts and processes more than product. Mark gave me a challenge
yesterday to tweak one lesson - and I have been thinking about it (the
big idea in that lesson was trademark law which few would want to get
into anyways). There actually IS a lot of reading about the Big Ideas
in the list archives.... I just haven't gotten around to writing a
page to put on Incredible Art Department. One member of my lesson
sharing group was supposed to send in a unit plan focusing on Big
Ideas - so I could put all of my web wanderings and "words of wisdom"
there.... The unit never came (sigh).

Well on to the New York Times Learning Network. Sergio reminded me
today to take another look at this site. I do have many of the lessons
linked on Incredible Art Department.
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/

Here is result of key word search Visual Art:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/learning.html?lquery=visual+art&grade=6-8%2C+9-12

Here is by Subject area - Visual Art
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/visarts.html

Here are Photography lessons:
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/photo.html

Here are Art in Society lessons:
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/artrefl.html

There are many great lessons on this site. I will let you browse to
find ones that interest you. I do have this linked on several pages on
Incredible Art Resources - but will be writing more about it today.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/