Re: [teacherartexchange] Warm-up Ideas - from many sources

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 07:11:48 PST

Judy Decker wrote:

>Dear Art Educators,
>
>Becky A. compiled this list of Warm up Ideas from Art Education List
>posts, the web and her own ideas:
>http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/warm-up.htm
>. . . . .
>
>Judy Decker

Becky and Judy

Thank you. This is a great warm-up list. I believe that using a regular warm-up ritual (starting every period with a brief warm-up) can be an extremely helpful and possibly a way to automatically get students settled and on-task. It can give the teacher time to check attendance and get prepared and psyched for the main agenda.

Would it be helpful if our shared lists of warm-ups would be categorized according to various learning goals? Might this help teachers fill voids in learning and thinking modes being taught in our art classes?

The list has many great thinking ideas to practice using the IMAGINATION, some require MEMORY OF EXPERIENCE, very few are based on OBSERVATION practice. Does this say something about our prevalent art teaching practices?

Do any art teachers use categories of ACCIDENTS and Choice Making, or MISTAKES as new Idea Development as warm ups? Most of the ideas on the list use DRAWING. Could teachers share their CLAY or COLLAGE warm-ups? What other media and art process warm-up categories do (or could) teachers use? Anybody use MEDITATION (or use a word like QUIET-DREAM-TIME that is politically less loaded)? Does anybody teach LIST MAKING as a warm up? What kind of lists? Are there any studies of what professional artists do to prepare their minds or to find their muse? As artist-teachers, what do we ourselves do?

If the warm-up is a regular ritual, how can it be established as an automatic class starting expectation? Does it work to post instructions with supplies placed where they are picked up on the way into the room? Does the class begin in a quiet and studious way? Do students save work in individual warm-up portfolios (providing a longitudinal growth record)?

This site includes more ideas and rationale for warm-up rituals.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/ritual.html

This warm-up uses list making, clay, and drawing.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/Bird.html

A few other ideas described.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/d-list.html
Marvin Bartel
Goshen College
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"

"You can't never know how to do it before you never did it before." ... a kindergarten boy working with clay for the first time. Warm-ups can provide first-time experience as PRACTICE eliminating fear of failure.