[teacherartexchange] Aesthetic Issue: Valuing Art: "What They Keep for Love" (NY Times)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2007 - 04:40:40 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I know some of you like to find current topics for your students....

This article is a good one for "value" of art.
What They Keep for Love
By RANDY KENNEDY
Published: February 11, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/arts/design/11kenn.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin

"A result is "Not for Sale," an unusual exhibition that opens Sunday
at P.S. 1, made up entirely of works that well-known artists have
created over the years and then, for a variety of reasons, have
decided they will not sell, no matter the price (they promise, on
their honor)."
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

I used my own art with my kiddies. I have one piece that I was offered
$300 for - unframed. I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars. My
kiddies said, well couldn't you just make another one? The answer was
no. Some art is not made to be sold. I made my "Celestial Family" as
a gift to my son. Eventually, it will be hanging in his home. I still
have it in my office.

More form New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Regards,