Re: [teacherartexchange] Clay research help

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 19:52:08 PST

>Hi-
>
>I have an idea for a clay research project to do with my high school students. I want to generate a list of commonly asked ceramics questions ( I need at least 30-35 questions) ranging from all aspects of making clay sculptures to using the pottery wheel. I want them to find the answers on the Internet and then create an "answers" poster for their questions that we can then display in class. Of course I am under the gun as I go to my conference this coming Thursday so I need to get this organized. Does anyone have something similar or have some ideas of questions that i can have the kids answer?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>Kim

Here is a bunch of questions. Some may work for you.

How are your arms and body positioned to facilitate easy centering while throwing?
     An answer is at: http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/throw/center.html
Why does clay warp and crack when it dries?
     An answer is at: http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/dryingslabs.html
How do you fix a glaze that tends to run off of the pot during firing.
    Answer: add some clay to it. The amount needs to be determined by experimentation.
What is the difference between expressive pottery and abstract expressionism in clay?
Who is the most famous woman clay artist who lived and worked in the last 200 years?
How does salt-glazing work?
How can the same glaze be red in some firings and be green in other firings?
    Hint: This glaze contains some copper.
Why does clay explode in the kiln?
When was the wheel first used for making pottery?
What are common ways to fire pottery without a kiln?
How is pottery finished without glazing it.
How is clay that you dig yourself processed and prepared for using?
     An answer at: http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/dryingslabs.html
Who was the longest living working clay artist in the United States and what was she famous for?
     Hint: She died in 1998 at 105. Her book is titled, I SHOCK MYSELF.
How is slip for slip casting different than slip that collects in the water while you are throwing a pot?
     Hint: How and why is the acidity different?
What are three or more advantages to having holes in some bricks?
Why would a sculpture that consists of a cube balancing on one corner be a sculpture in the round.
Who was Viola Frey? Why was she important? What was the style of her work?
Who was Shoji Hamada? Why was he important? What was the style of his work?
Who was Benard Leach? Why was he important? What was the style of his work?
Who was Peter Voulkos? Why was he important? What was the style of his work?
Who is Ruth Duckworth? Why is she important? What is the style of her work?
Who is Toshiko Takaezu? Why is she important? What is the style of her work?
Who was Adelaide Alsop Robineau? Why was she important? What was the style of her work?
What is the chemical difference between the unfired clay and the fired clay molecule?
Why have people died from breathing ordinary clay dust?
What temperature is needed to convert clay to bisqueware??
What are the advantages of single firing compared to the advantages of using a two-firing process?
Why do some glazes craze?
How does cone 6 differ from cone 06?
Enjoy!

Marvin Bartel
studio phone: 574-533-0171
The First Throwing Assignment
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/assign1.htm??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"