Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] A "golden nugget" on Copyright and Fair Use

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 05:05:08 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Copyright has been a discussion on Art Education list. Kids often
don't understand what "Fair Use" really is.... There have been some
good posts in Art Education list - you can browse the archives for
them - but this post from Kathy Douglas is "golden".

From Kathy:

When I read about upper level teachers struggling to keep students
from inappropriate appropriation of another's art work/ideas, I remind
myself of the importance at the lower grades of including objectives
such as:
The student will express deep interests/personal ideas
The student will create a variation of the basic technique different
from everyone else's
The student will experiment and create a different use for an object
The student will think of a new tool/strategy to solve a problem
The student will express a deep interest in more than one medium

etc etc etc.
Being original takes lots of practice! Those "think different"
muscles need to be exercised and toned every year of a child's school
life and in many schools there isn't too much room for this in the
"academic" day. Kindergarten and primary students are bursting with
original ideas. We need to honor them and keep those kids "thinking

We elementary people are the fortunate ones
How will you help your students be original today?

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to