[teacherartexchange] Art history--Carol Mariani

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 00:10:58 PST

Thanks for your kind words Lia.

I was reading The Visual Experience the other day. In the course of reading
the history section dealing with The Renaissance (p 432), I came across a
caption of a painting by Carlo Maria Mariani, in which he says he remembers
the US bombing Rome during World War II. I thought that the US did not
attack Italy. I thought the US confined its attack to Germany. Is it
possible that the Germans painted US colors on their planes so the Italians
would think they were the US attacking them? As I recall, it was not
possible to make an agreement with Hitler because the Russians tried to do
that and he breached the agreement. So the US was hoping Mussollini would
come around to the Allied side. I do not recall any evidence of bombing
when I went to Italy in 1978. The British made sure to show me the grave
markers of all the American boys. Am I just totally off base on this?
World War II history is not my forte, for sure.

Jean Womack