[teacherartexchange] Stamp out Breast Cancer - lesson idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 09:14:36 PST

Dear Art Educators,

This is a bit off topic - so I am connecting it to a lesson idea. Why
not have the students design a stamp for something they feel
passionate about - some kind of cause?

Everything you have read about the Breast Cancer Stamp is true:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/breaststamp.asp

See an image of the stamp here:
http://www.curebreastcancer.org/cs/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=437&Itemid=44

Breast Cancer Research Stamp
http://cms.komen.org/komen/PublicPolicy/BreastCancerResearch/index.htm
"The Breast Cancer Research semi-postal stamp was issued on July 29,
1998, at a "First Day" ceremony held at the White House. It was the
first semi-postal stamp in U.S. history. Selling for 45 cents, the
Breast Cancer Research stamp is 8 cents more than a traditional
first-class postage stamp.

"By law, 70 percent of the net amount raised from the stamp is given
to the National Institutes of Health, and 30 percent is given to the
Medical Research Program at the Department of Defense for breast
cancer research grants. To date, the stamp has raised more than $45.8
million for breast cancer research.

"Congress has currently authorized extended sale of the Breast Cancer
stamp through December 31, 2007. Komen believes the breast cancer
research stamp is an important effort to highlight the importance of
breast cancer and to provide additional funding for breast cancer
research. Komen applauds and strongly supports Members of Congress in
extending the breast cancer research stamp program." (copied from the
URL above)

Note the amount of funds generated varies from site to site....some
sites have it over $50 million

Remember Linda Woods in your prayers - recently diagnosed with stage 2
breast cancer... and remember all of our list member survivors.

Jan H sent me forwarded email about the stamp - this is the best way
for me to get the word out.

Regards,

Judy Decker