RE: [teacherartexchange] Textbooks--- Longish

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 14:18:58 PST

When I used a book (my current school has a curriculum book, we don't
currently have a textbook) I usually had my students read the chapters
in the book, and do the questions for one or two days out of the week,
then the rest of the time would be working on projects based on what
that chapter was about. The resources for the book included
transparencies and worksheets on many artists, as well as supplemental
worksheets for the text reading. I would skip parts of the book that
didn't seem so important for my students, and used the book for several
grade levels, just starting at different points in the book. I was not a
slave to the book, and several times during projects, we would go a week
or more without taking them out. It also made it easy when I had a sub,
it was easy for me to say "do activity XXX from the teacher resource
binder" or have the students read chapter x and y and do the questions
and review.

I don't think you NEED a textbook to teach art, but I found it really
made me assess what I was doing, and how I could improve.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us