RE: [teacherartexchange] Any good art texts?

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 10:08:59 PST

I have used the Art Talk and Understanding Art books from Glencoe-McGraw
Hill.

The Understanding art book is intended for grades 6-8, but the
reading/comprehension level seemed to actually work better for high
school. The Art Talk book worked well for 7-12 grades, I had already
used the Understanding Art for several years before ordering the Art
Talk books. I preferred them. I found myself using bits and pieces from
each book, rather then just following it. If I had stayed at that job, I
would have divided up the books and used a bit of them both for each
grade level.

Be sure to order the resource materials, they are excellent, WELL worth
the investment. I think I would have been disappointed in the books had
I not bought all the transparencies and worksheet books also. Just an
"art book" was intimidating for my students, but they enjoyed the extra
activities and worksheets, and it made the book easier to follow.

What I did when I was assessing texts was to write a "grocery list" of
artists, art periods, art techniques, and art fundamentals I covered in
each class. Then I looked in the summary for each book (all I looked at
had a week by week, month by month, quarter, or semester lesson plan
breakdown) and looked which books were most closely aligned to what I
wanted to teach. Where something was different, or missing completely, I
considered just how important it was to what I wanted my students to
learn. I looked at each text to see if there was something else covered
that sufficiently replaced what I felt was missing.

Ask other art teachers in your area. I would have been lost without
their advice. I called or e-mailed about 5 art teachers I knew and asked
their input. (And kind of ironic, I went against the advice of one and
got the Understanding Art series instead of the Art Talk series. Now I
understand why she made that recommendation.

Good luck!

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School