Re: [teacherartexchange] Need a Valentine Lesson

---------

From: Chris Lincoln (artloverlincoln_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 09:24:45 PST

Hi Gina,

I have just finished 2 different lessons that could be used for
Valentine's Day. My 2nd graders colored (oil pastel) a large (warm
color) heart onto course grit sandpaper with a cool color surrounding
it. We then ironed it onto watercolor paper, melting the oil pastel
and leaving a pointillism texture behind. Then we water colored on
top of the heart and background using the same color family. It is a
resist emphasizing warm and cool colors. The colors bleed into one
another a little and the effect is beautiful. My sand paper is
smaller than my watercolor paper and therefore leaves a wide paper
border around the print/resist. It is just beautiful. My parents are
planning on framing these.

2nd idea is use a heart shape for heads and create a family portrait.
You can tie it to Picasso and divide the face shape and have the
family members with facial features looking in different directions,
etc. We outlined with Sharpies and then colored with markers. Very
fun and light hearted.

Hope this helps,

Chris
in sunny CA