Re: [teacherartexchange] Any good art texts?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 04:44:11 PST

>ArtsEd Buddies,
>
>This is my second request for recommendations for a good art textbook for
>9-12th grades. Someone PLEEEEEZE help. I have the money in the budget but don't
>want to purchase before seeking advice as to what has been successful.
>
>Thanks!
Marsha in Orlando

You may find a "good" art textbook, but their may be even better options.

WHAT IS A TEXT FOR?
What are your own strengths and weaknesses as an art teacher? In my opinion, those of us who are well prepared in teaching studio work should seek expert resources (books, educational films, etc.) that supplement the important areas of our own weakness. I have always felt that I am a far better teacher when I can teach from my strengths than when I try to bumble through my weaknesses.

For many high school art classes, students might be better served if the room has a set of standard art history texts sold for college survey classes in place of books published as school textbooks? By selecting an art history text that is up-to-date, well illustrated, well written, and inclusive of cultures, styles, genders, etc. high school students may be better prepared for life and for their college/university experiences.

For a high school art teacher who is well prepared in art history, might it be better to order a set of college level drawing, design, sculpture, painting, ceramics, jewelry, or photography text books? I like to pick an essential area of expertise that I wish I knew better. When I have done this, it has been very helpful in making me a more competent teacher. As I assign learning from a good book, I also learn the material. We question, experiment, and answer things TOGETHER. Conversely, I hate to assign things from a book if the material would be more interesting and challenging if I presented it myself.

PREVIEWING BOOK SELECTIONS
I write, call, or email the publishers and request a free examination copy of every book that is being considered as a text. If a publisher refuses, I sometimes order a used copy on the Internet and pay for it myself or use department budget funds.

Marvin Bartel
Dr. Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art Emeritus
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"