[teacherartexchange] Contemporary African Art - some wonderful art! (gallery site)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 05:16:59 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I just got some information from Sankaranka Gallery in Brooklyn New York:
http://www.sankarankagallery.com/
http://www.sankarankagallery.com/home.html
There is some wonderful Contemporary African Art on this site -
Paintings and Sculptures.
Unfortunately, you can not save the images to file to show students so
you would have to show right from this site. The site is very well
done. I borwsed all of thepaintings and scultpures and found them all
to be "kid safe" - but if I were you, I would show on large projector
the ones you want the students to see. Some of the paintings show
strong influence of traditional African art and themes while others
are do not show heritage.

Charles Kamangwana collages actual newspapers into some of his
work.... sure to inspire a lesson....

The sculpture would enhance any subtractive sculpture unit.

This is how I found out about this site..... an exhibit announcement.
I could not find it on their site yet.

 SHADOW MATTER- The Rhythm of Structure

Sculptures by: Nicholas Mukomberanwa, M. Scott Johnson, Lawrence
Mukomberanwa, Taguma Mukomberanwa

February 1 till March 16, 2007

Opening Saturday, February 10 2007 3-6pm

Gallery Talk with M. Scott Johnson, Thursday February 22 6-8pm

Sankaranka Gallery Contemporary African Art

111 Front St. suites 206, 230 DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY 11201

Contact: Melvin E. Taylor

http://www.sankarankagallery.com/

F' train to York Street Station

In recognition of Black History Month Sankaranka Gallery mounts the moving

Exhibition "SHADOW MATTER–The Rhythm Of Structure"

 SHADOW MATTER –the Rhythm of Structure celebrates the aesthetic
contributions of a modern giant of African neo-classicism - Zimbabwean
Shona sculptor and philosopher Nicholas Mukomberanwa (1940-2002) - as
seen through the eyes of his African American apprentice, M. Scott
Johnson, and his sons, Lawrence and Taguma Mukomberanwa. This
exhibition features the work of these three direct stone sculptors
alongside the elder Mukomberanwa's own work, bringing to light the
powerful influence of Nicholas Mukomberanwa on a new generation of
sculptors. This exhibition also highlights the effects of the
crosspollination of ideas during Johnson's residency 1996-99 on the
Mukomberanwa's farm in Ruwa Zimbabwe.

The post-colonial emergence of Zimbabwean sculpture and its elder
statesmen Nicholas Mukomberanwa ranks as as one of the greatest
narratives of the visual arts in the 20th century. In contrast to most
of his Zimbabwean peers Mukomberanwa is noted for successfully
appropriating & Africanizing concepts & methods from across diverse
(European, Asian and Native American) cultural divides into the
service of his own powerful vision & imagery. Mukomberanwa's
collaboration with the spiritual life force of stone is hallmarked in
masterfully realizing works that stretch the definitions of
abstraction, figurative and minimalist works. The honesty from which
his work evolves is a testament to the vitality of contemporary Shona
culture. As cultural icon, Nicholas was a constant shining example and
mentor to many young artists. Mukomberanwa's sculptures can be found
in New York's Museum of Modern Art, London's Museum of Mankind and
Harare's National Gallery of Zimbabwe. This is one of the first New
York exhibits of Mukomberanwa's work since his death in 2002.

M. Scott Johnson, NYC artist and apprentice of Nicholas Mukomberanwa,
imbues the ancient art of stone carving with a contemporary
edge-defying attitude that speaks to African-American cultural vision
& experience. Over the course of his three years of experience at
Mukomberanwa's studio from 1996-1999, Scott was privy to the unique
aesthetic and philosophical legacy of Zimbabwean sculptors. When
referring to the title of the exhibition, Johnson explains that it was
Nicholas who taught him that "the truth of a sculpture is located in
the shadows". In describing his apprenticeship, Scott says,
"Mukomberawa helped me to develop a metaphysical correlation in my
work, which enabled me to extend beyond Western techno-seduction. He
showed me how to become a conduit – "rhythmic with my creative
intuition". Scott's work lies between the crossroads of visual art
and cultural anthropology. His sculpture can be found in permanent
collections at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture and
Hampton University, and have been exhibited nationally at
establishments such as Transafrica Forum, the Embassy of the Republic
of Ghana, Columbia and Harvard universities.

Lawrence and Taguma Mukomberanwa have incorporated their father's high
aesthetic standards, including the articulation one's own distinct
vision. Each has begun to exhibit abroad, with Lawrence as resident
artist at the exhibition "Master Sculptors of Zimbabwe and their
Works" in Barcelona, Spain. Johnson, who co-curates SHADOW MATTER with
Saihou Saidy, states:" The presence of their work in this exhibition
throws into relief the possibilities of aesthetic inheritance and
variation".

Sankaranka Gallery provides a forum for presenting the highest quality
of contemporary African art to an international audience.

If this type of sculpture interests you, enter the names of the
sculptors in Google and you will find photograph of the artist, bio
and examples of works. I didn't save links - but there are "out
there". I imagine you can find work of the painters, too, that
interest you (I found quite a bit on Charles Kamangwana).

I will be adding a link to this site on my African Art links page.

Is anyone interested right now in images of the sculptures from this
exhibit? I am writing to Mr. Johnson today.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/