[teacherartexchange] Letter to the Editor

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 09:52:47 PST

Letter to the Editor

This mornings Albuquerque Journal printed my letter concerning our
congresswoman's support of
NEA funds going to school districts so they could have art and music
programs.

Get Local Funds for Arts, Music
     REP. HEATHER Wilson's support of art and music programs in all
the schools is laudable. As a retired middle school art teacher, I
strongly support her objective. Art and music programs are very
important.
     But states and school districts should be funding those needed
programs, not the national government. The funds allotted to the
National Endowment of the Arts (NEA) should not be used to pay
salaries for art and music teachers.
     A much better use of NEA funds is for enrichment activities to
support the art programs in the schools. NEA funds could be paying
for museum visits, artists in residence, visiting dancers and
musicians. Federal funding comes and goes.
     Our schools need a local long-term commitment to quality art
programs. The NEA funds would be better used to support those
programs, not fund them.
     WOODY DUNCAN
     Albuquerque

Woody Duncan woodyduncan@comcast.net