[teacherartexchange] to share

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 08:36:13 PST

This was on another list -
Ellen

Online Educational Comics Launched for Literacy, ESOL By
Author/Journalist Bill Zimmerman http://www.makebeliefscomix.com

I want to share with you news of my newest educational project and also
ask for your help to make it succeed.

I've just launched a new web site -- http:// www.makebeliefscomix.com
-- where children and adults can create their own comic strips. They can
select from 10 fun characters with different moods -- happy, sad, angry,
worried - and write words for blank talk and thought balloons to make
their characters talk and think. There also are story ideas and prompts
to help users create graphic stories.

The site can be used by educators to teach language, reading and writing
skills, and also for students in English-as-a-Second-Language programs
to facilitate self-expression and storytelling. Parents and children can
create stories together, print them to create comic books or email them
to friends and family. Others will find the site a resource to be
creative, calm down and have fun.

I am hoping that you will share http://www.makebeliefscomix.com with
your colleagues, teachers, students or readers of your publications and
resource lists. The site is free with no advertising. Any help you might
offer in getting word out about this project is very appreciated. If you
can suggest other people or groups whom I might contact to make them
aware of the site please send me their names, email addresses or phone
numbers. Relevant Internet resource sharing groups would be helpful,
too. It takes a community to build a useful resource like this one.

As one who learned to read with comic books, I know that creating comic
strips can help people tap into their creativity and practice their
language and storytelling skills. The site is free and stems from my
lifelong mission to create resources that help people find their voice
and express themselves. The concept for makebeliefscomix.com is derived
from my earlier books, Make Beliefs and Make Beliefs for Kids of All
Ages (which can be found on my other web site:
http://www.billztreasurechest.com). A Make Beliefs interactive feature
appeared for 13 years on my syndicated Student Briefing Page for
Newsday, and in National Geographic's World Magazine. Many of my books
are used to help students find their voice.

I hope you like http://www.makebeliefscomix.com and will use it in your
work and personal life. Your feedback is welcome and very helpful.

With thanks and every good wish,

Bill Zimmerman