[teacherartexchange] Jasper Johns: An Allegory of Painting (NGA Exhibit)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 04:44:17 PST

Dear Art Educators,

National Gallery of Art has a feature exhibit on work by Jasper Johns -
Jasper Johns: An Allegory of Painting 1955-1965:
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/johnsinfo.shtm
Online presentation:
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2007/johns/index.shtm

I read about this in New York Times:
Bull's-Eyes and Body Parts: It's Theater, From Jasper Johns
By HOLLAND COTTER
Published: February 2, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/02/arts/design/02john.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
"The selection of works at the National Gallery of Art look every bit
as radical and mysterious as they surely did in New York in the
1950s."

You might want to use "Target with Four Faces" instead of "Target with
Plaster Casts". Depending on maturity level of your students. I
wouldn't want any of you to get fired for showing a penis (Kris sent
me an article about a teacher who was fired for showing drawings of a
penis! - no kidding - and it was in a health class).

Online subscription to NY Times is FREE. I will keep posting good
stuff I find so you know to be sure to check (smile).... Some days,
there isn't much that interests me.

Regards,

Judy Decker