[teacherartexchange] textbook caravan experience

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 07:07:16 PST

Our state's (Oklahoma) Textbook caravan literature
urged us to be there promptly at 7:45, so I was
diligently on the road by 6 a.m., and arrived at the
appointed time. After noticing that there was not a
single Art Ed textbook display to be found, I found a
seat in the little conference room, only to be told
that there was only one Middle School presentation,
and that wasn't until 10:40, and there would be NO
High School presentations. So I left the room to call
our HS teacher to tell her to not bother coming, but
she was already on the way. This was in a building
with no coffeeshop or any other way to kill time but
stand around and eat their donuts, which I did for for
pretty much three hours. There was, in fact, two
Middle School presentations and one High School
presentation after all. Davis was by far the best
choice for me, which I suspected already. I'm going to
ask for a classroom set of their 7th grade book
"Global Connections" (I think that's the title), which
is written on the 6th grade level and is the one they
recommend if you are only getting one level. I was
looking for something that has a solid Art History
core, and this book had Byzantine, Renaissance, etc.
I will probably use it primarily with my 6th graders
that I will have ALL 6th graders next year for 9
weeks, as they offer a 9 week program with this book.

My H.S. collegue was also looking for Art History
support, but will probably go with their other book,
that Ken Veith worked on, it looked great.

All in all, this could have been done with a good
pamphlet, not a wasted day.