Re: [teacherartexchange] Help - Art Offerings for Middle Schoolers

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 06:51:01 PST

I have 2 classes of 6th graders for 12 weeks, if they
are in "rotation" classes, 3 hours of 7th and 8th
mixed together for one semester (all levels of
experience) and one very small class of 8th graders
all year every day. We have no elementary art. In high
school all art students must take art 1 first,
regardless of grade level or experience.

I'm sure that is an excellent class, but I can't
imagine the benefit of skipping freshman art, or doing
anything to get an art class "out of the way". Part of
the process of developing as an artist is the ongoing
discipline of practice, making studio work a part of
daily life. I wouldn't be all that happy to be an
undergrad college art prof getting students who were
told they had all the art classes they needed by
eighth grade.