Re: [teacherartexchange] cool new twist on still life???

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 10:50:18 PST

>i really don't want a bunch of paintings of the same
>thing!!! for art 1's, high school... am thinking of
>having students draw _some_ objects from a still life
>at their tables, as usual, but then asking them to
>choose a theme and find mag pix to draw along with the
>real objects. anyone do/see anything like this, or
>have any other FUN, creative ideas? i want more
>original/individual ideas, not just adding designs or
>distorting...
>
>thanks!!!!!!
>
>:D wendy free

I browse the produce department and bring in items of food that are both healthy and good tasting or very bad tasting to add to each still life. Tasting is part of the motivation. The insides are often the most interesting part. Odor helps. Research shows that multi-sensory motivation produces stronger artwork. Students can also get credit for bringing in appropriate contributions.

Marvin
http://www.bartelart.com/arted/ideas.html