Re: [teacherartexchange] Curriculum interview questions (college profs)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 05:17:45 PST

Greetings College Instructors,

I already answered Jeanette off list.......(Kathy D. see note to you)

Back in the old days (early 1970s)....we had to write up a complete
curriculum in our methods classes. I was lucky, I had a room mate who
was in business ed, so I hired her to type mine. I'd write out a few
pages at a time... and give them to her to type.

When I went to my first job interview and was asked what I would teach
at what grade level (this was for high school), I handed him my
complete curriculum guide. He was impressed with the variety of media.
I was a "dreamer"..... I wrote up a curriculum for jewelry, ceramics,
sculpture, fibers, drawing, painting, and printmaking - as well as an
Art Fundamentals class. I may have had a crafts elective, too (don't
remember now). Now a days, you would have to write one for Graphic
Design/Computer graphics as well.

Maybe students should at least be required to write out a curriculum
map of what they might teach at what grade level. I have a feeling the
Interviewer was "testing" Jeanette to see if she was familiar with the
stages of artistic development.

I know we have several college professors on this list....and
occasionally you ask what is needed.

Kathy Douglas - if you see this.... it might be fun to answer this
question as a TAB Choice teacher (smile). Please take this question to
the TAB Choice list to have them consider. I know you have several
pre-service teachers on TAB list.

Regards,

Judy Decker