Re: [teacherartexchange] Does anyone do a Deborah Butterfield Lesson?

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 04:19:02 PST

Judy,

I don't do a specific Deborah Butterfield lesson, but
I would like to. I do, however, use one of her
prints, the name has escaped me, but it is a metal
sculpture in primary colors and I can look up the name
later if you like, ( I just checked online and the one
I am talking about is called "Palma") and I use it to
talk to the kids about how to break things down into
shapes and get them to point out the simple geometric
shapes within the complex form of a horse. We
recently talked about this before starting a papier
mache animal project so that they could have an idea
of how to get started.

This is the first year for "real" art classes for my
students and they became confused during our talk when
I was talking about sculpture and holding up a two
dimensional print. They kept saying, "But it's flat!"

Hope this helps!

Chris Massingill
Central Arkansas

http://yellowstone.artmuseum.org/Openings/deborah_butterfield.htm