Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Does anyone do a Deborah Butterfield Lesson?

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 20:31:06 PST

Greeetings Art Educators,

I am working on a lesson page for Deborah Butterfield. Does anyone
have a lesson they can share to add? What medium did you use? What age
group? (Sue Stevens - was it you who did the stick horses?)

How many of you introduce the work of Deborah Butterfield to your students?

Lesson plan to come from me using wire and tooling foil.....another
lesson idea using sticks (wire and hot glue) and corn husks. Another
idea using found objects (from the in-organic to organic). I will
write it up as making any animal.

Please reply to me OFF LIST (judy.decker at

Deborah Butterfield Resources:

On Artcyclopedia
Gallery listings:

Catalog of her work:

Lesson page with short bio from NTIEVA

Modern/contemporary Art:

What if you combined a lesson on Butterfield with the cardboard letter lesson?
One of her horses looks like it is made from discarded letters
(welded). Your animal could be made from materials you have on hand -
cardboard, heavy wire.
Maybe even make group sculptures - with each letter of the animal
being used. After the temporary sculptures are displayed, the can be
dismantled and the individual letters painted as you wish.

There are more resources out there.... these should get you started.
I am going to try to contact Butterfield for use of thumbnail images
on this lesson page.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources