[teacherartexchange] NY Times - "What Does Islam Look Like?"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 12:43:22 PST

Greetings Art Educators and Net Gold Members,

I only share the NY Times articles that have special meaning or interest to me.
Today this article appeared.

What Does Islam Look Like?
By HOLLAND COTTER
"A number of new shows tell us very different things about the
reception in the West of a cultural category called 'Islam'."

"THE West and Islam are on a cultural collision course. That's the
best-selling fiction that many people politicians, religious leaders
and the media on both sides of the equation are working overtime to
turn into fact. Actually, it's a very old story, and art is routinely
pulled into it."
....... short blurb copied from:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/arts/design/26cott.html?th&emc=th

BEAUTIFUL Art images shared:
Raqib Shaw's "Garden of Earthly Delights III" (2003

Pleasure Pillars" (2001) by Pakistani-born Shahzia Sikander.

Print version:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/arts/design/26cott.html?_r=1&th=&emc=th&pagewanted=print

Sign up to receive this every day FREE.... I don't always read the
articles... but it is nice to see some current events.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/