[teacherartexchange] Job Hunt Approach

---------

From: Sharon Cohn (ecetera1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 09:53:53 PST

Hi,

I just got my MEd in Art Ed. and am doing the job
search
thing. Im looking for classroom and gallery/museum ed.
openings. I have a head hunter looking for private
school positions, and have applied to whatever
public/charter vacancies I find on various sites - but
advertised opps are few and far between. Ive sent
blind letters out, but was wondering whether anyone
had done the networking thing teaching wise- set up
information interviews, introductory meetings with
teachers or administrators without there actually
being a job available.

I do think first hand connections are beneficial in
any situation, but am not sure if this is a viable
approach industry wise- it seems like something most
school employees wouldn't have time for, and I'm not
sure what it would accomplish since vacancies are
pretty cut and dry (no positions created because they
like you..)

If anyone has any insight into this, and /or the
museum/gallery angle I'd love to hear it.

Thanks